Saturday, April 21, 2012

Have You Heard The One About...

       Peggy, my Charleston bridge partner, was in Machu Picchu on a mountain ridge 8,000 feet above sea level in South American when her cell phone rang. "I couldn't believe it even worked there," she said. Who would be calling her? A dire emergency, no doubt? No, it was Lyndsey the bridge director for the game we play in. She wanted to know if we were playing that week. Apparently there's  no getting away from bridge, no matter how far you go.

       Obviously Peggy wasn't going to be able to play that week, but she had arranged for me to play with Jackie, the 80 plus year-old widow she plays with in my absence. 


       So Jackie and I met before the game to discuss bidding techniques but I wasn't excited about it. You know how it is when you play with someone new and you don't have a sense of how they play. Plus Peggy and I just always have fun together.

       We sat in the grill and Jackie ordered a glass of Sauvignon Blanc - my favorite. She talked about her five kids and life in Atlanta where she's from - interesting. She told me about her husband, her hobbies and her travels - fascinating. And the topper was the blonde joke she told - the one about the blonde who got on the plane to Montreal and sat in first class but didn't have a ticket. Heard that? Well, anyway the point is she was hysterical and she can tell a great joke, not something everyone can do. We had a blast and played several times together.

       I guess there's a moral to this blog post today - well, maybe two. You can't judge a bridge partner by her age and don't go all the way to Machu Picchu to try to escape from bridge because it turns out cell phones work there.

     

 


No comments:

Post a Comment