Sunday, September 30, 2012

If Only...

If only I didn't love dachshunds. If I didn't love dachshunds, I wouldn't have one and I wouldn't have taken her to the vet last Monday. And if I hadn't taken her to the vet last Monday, I could have gone to "Loaded Baked Potato Day" at the Bridge Center. It was a roaring success, I'm told.

It was the NLM's day to shine. Many times the Life Masters have invited us to share in their bounty (except when they didn't) and it was high time we hosted a luncheon for a change. So Monday was the day all were invited by the NLM group to "get loaded at the Bridge Center" (the potatoes...get the potatoes loaded).

Four kindly volunteers roasted eight dozen spuds and still others brought toppings, both traditional and the not-so-much. Cheeses, chives, bacon and butter; salsa, broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce; chili, barbecue and...tuna fish? Complete with dessert and salad, not a person went hungry. 

But what about the beverage, you ask? Served with the taters was "Rebecca's Bourbon Slush" a most delightful drink that I had the pleasure of trying a few years ago at the Center. Recipe follows, but let me just say it was a big hit. People loved it. In fact, one of my sources said that some people loved it too much. Apparently several partnerships weren't playing up to their usual high level after a few glasses of slush, said my source, so I can only conclude that the potatoes weren't the only things getting loaded at the Bridge Center last Monday. 



Rebecca's Bourbon Slush

2 cups hot tea
1/2 cup sugar
6 ounce frozen orange juice
6 ounce frozen limeade
12 ounce frozen lemonade
6 cups water
2 cups bourbon (or 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup amaretto)

Dissolve sugar in hot tea. Mix all ingredients together and freeze. Stir every 6 to 8 hours for two days before serving.













No comments:

Post a Comment