Sunday, December 21, 2014

Merry Slushmas

A bridge player at Christmas is lucky as an elf
Parties and merriment abound.
Your red and green come down from the shelf
And goodies are served by the pound.

Oh, and there's also Rebecca's Famous Bourbon Slush. We had lots of it this year. Yes, the BS flowed at the Bridge Center's Christmas/Hanukkah party and my game only improved because of it. Others, however, played as sloppy as the slush and blamed it on the bourbon. We allowed it because it is, after all, the season of giving and forgiving.

What we didn't have this yuletide were any grinches. No one had termites in their smiles or were mean as crocodiles. I observed not one nasty wasty skunk with a heart full of unwashed socks and a soul that was full of gunk. And I'm very pleased to say that not one person brought any three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwiches with arsenic sauce to our glorious food table. *

We were told that the Life Masters had a big gigantic cake they couldn't finish so we decided to go awassailing for it. They tripped to the door and pulled back the pin and let us wassailers in. 
Out we came with a cake dreams are made of and oh, how happy were we. We danced a jig and drank more slush and sang festive carols by the tree.

So it was a lovely holiday celebration at the Bridge Center and we left "wishing each other enough", quoted from Bob Perks' story:

"I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more. 
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger. 
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting. 
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish enough 'Hello's' to get you through the final 'Goodbye.'
My friends, I wish you enough!"


* "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" song lyrics by Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Geisel







No comments:

Post a Comment